- ...a big mystery that nobody really understands.
- ...emblematic of the woman at menopause.
- ...are experienced as a sudden wave of extreme heat that sweeps through the body, sometimes causing profuse sweating.
- Medics refer to flushes and night sweats as vasomotor symptoms orvasomotor dysfunction.
- ...are experienced differently by different women.
- ...can be brought on by situations especially stress, emotions, foods, drinks and psychological "events".
- ...were previously thought to be worse in thin women but are now known to be worse if you are overweight.
- ... are of varying severity, intensity, frequency and duration in the same woman and between women. They usually subside gradually after the menopause but may last for months or years and in a few women, forever.
- ...at night cause night sweats. These can be disturbing enough to cause debilitating sleep loss.
- ...do not just occur in menopausal women. They can occur whenever there is a rapid drop in oestrogen – after surgical removal of the ovaries, following childbirth and in some premenopausal women just before menstruation.
Saturday, September 17, 2011
For me, menopause with the hot flushes is the beginning of another phase of my life...The time has finally arrived .... Ready or not. Hot flushes is the first symptom and soon others might just creep in. Aching backs, hormonal headaches, painful knee joints and the list goes on. To help get on with life, I shall be adding some du'a and dzikir to ease the pain. For a start...Here's the du'a for those hot flushes.
قُلْنَا يَا نَارُ كُونِي بَرْدًا وَسَلَامًا عَلَىٰ إِبْرَاهِيمَ
"Allah said, "O fire, be coolness and safety upon Abraham."
Surah Anbiyaa' : 69
2. Aching backs
وَإِذَا بَطَشْتُم بَطَشْتُمْ جَبَّارِينَ
And when you strike, you strike as tyrants.
to be continued ....